Sunday, July 29, 2007

Me Talk Pretty One Day


Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris is a memoir (I love memoirs) written as short stories. Sedaris is generally known as the hilarious author who discusses the incidents in his life that make his readers laugh out loud while reading. I chose this book earlier in the year because David Sedaris was coming to Anchorage. If I bought one of his new books at Title Wave Books I was entered into a contest to win free tickets. Needless to say I didn't win. However, I did enjoy this book of short stories that I read while we were camping this summer. It was nice to be able to pick up the book, read one story, and then put it down again. I didn't have to worry about continuity or remembering plotlines. I didn't find it as funny as everyone else seems to find it. My favorite story was titled "Big Boy" and told of an unfortunate incident in the bathroom of a dinner party. I laughed so hard I had to read it to my husband. Read this book if you love to laugh, if short stories capture your attention, or if you have family members that won't mind you interrupting their day in order for you to read them a line or two aloud. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

No comments: